Monday, February 1, 2016

I Got a New Toy!!

At CES this year, I was working near the fitness section in the Sands Convention Center.  As the exhibitors wandered by my booth, I started conversations with them about what I wanted in a wearable fitness device.

I'm looking for something that has a built in GPS and will connect to my running app, Strava, so that I don't have to carry my phone with me when I run.

Everyone I talked to said it wasn't on the market.  Yet.

Well, shoots.  So into the sports bra goes my phone.  Not exactly comfortable, but certainly handy.


This week, I'm working the Super Bowl Expo for Microsoft.  We're getting the usual crash course on the products being showcased at the Expo, talking points, highlights, etc.  Well, guess what the last product introduced is?

A wearable device that has built in GPS and connects to many fitness apps, like Strava, so I can leave my phone at home when I run.

Why does no one know about this?

There you have it.  The Microsoft Band 2



So I went out and bought one.


Now, even though I work a LOT of Tech Shows throughout the year, I'm not exactly and expert when it comes to setting up new devices.  I usually try to do it myself and then go back to the store where I bought it to have them do it.  Not with this device.  It was VERY easy to set up and customize.  Even for me.  It has a lot of bells and whistles that I won't use, so I just turned those features off, and connecting it to my Strava account was self explanatory.

Seriously.  If you know me, I struggle trying to set the alarm on my phone.  This was incredibly easy.


I went for a run with it, seven miles with hills, to see how it would compare to the other fitness device that I wear.

And I forgot to turn on the GPS, so in effect, I can't connect with Strava to get the credit.  Grumble.  Good to know for next time, but I would have liked it to let me know that GPS was not on instead of having to remember to turn it on.  My running apps on my phone give me the head's up, this should too.  Suggestion noted in feedback form.

Otherwise, it did well tracking my steps and estimated run.  I covered a regular path and the calculations were very close.

I particularly liked that the device vibrated slightly every mile completed.  My other device doesn't do that, it only vibrates when the steps goal is completed.  This, to me, is my little cheering section.  Three miles completed?  OK, I can do another.  Four?  Yep, I've got another mile left in me...and on and on I went.

I also like that pace, elevation, and heart rate are displayed.  I don't have to wait until I get home and remember where I was when the pace I was running felt right.  This helps me speed up or slow down, depending on my goals for the day.

The only real challenge I see upcoming is the battery life.  Even with the GPS off, I drained 25% of the battery on a seven mile run.  That's going to be an issue when I start covering large distances in a few months.  The battery needs to be good for 20+ miles to really make it worthwhile for me.  I'll go back to the Microsoft store and ask the incredibly helpful staff how I can tinker with the device to extend battery life.

In the end, after the first day, I'm giving it four stars out of five.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

Tomorrow is my day off, I have another long run scheduled, so I will be out there, Running While Branded...


Miles Flown:  3500
Longest Run:  7.0 miles




1 comment:

  1. I will share it with my other friends as the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work. Benefit App | Step counter | Best running apps for ios

    ReplyDelete