Thursday, June 2, 2016

Unbranded in Liverpool...the Encore

This is my second time running the Rock & Roll Liverpool Half Marathon . And, sadly, my second time not doing it healthy.



Last year, I had a horrible infection on my ankle which caused me to be on crutches the week before the race.  



This year, I overdeveloped bronchitis the week before the race, and was not sure I would make it through the course without keeling over and coughing myself to the hospital.

But there's something about Liverpool and the people who live there That just give you energy and strength to get out there and do it, dying or not.


The 2:30 pacer who made ​​me finish strong.
 Next year, he promises me 2:20. Let's do it !!
This is without a doubt my favorite Rock & Roll Marathon that I have completed. If you ever get a chance to come across The Pond and participate, do it! The people are wonderful, the city was a blast, and the fact that not many people know you makes it even more fun to get out there and experience new things. Plus, if you drink enough beer, you start to understand the accent, and can almost figure out what the Scouse are saying. Truly amazing and hospitable people in this town .


And, of course, everything BEATLES !!!!  
How could you go wrong?

I Decided to do the R & R Remix Challenge - 5K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday. After not running for almost a month, my 5K was good - just two minutes off my PR, and my Half Marathon was pretty decent as the 4th best time. I was afraid to push myself too hard, as I did not want to get into a coughing fit on the course and not be editable to finish. No way I will quit, I do not care how long it takes. That's just me.


This is what I look like after crossing the finish line.
No editing or filtering. The false eyelashes stay on!




Some people from my group came running over, and this was the 10th R & R racing for them this year - definitely an achievement. Having a group That you only see during a race and communicate with on Facebook is certainly the modern way of developing relationships with people who, like me, will jump on a plane at a moment's notice and fly wherever for an event. I do it for work, they do it for a race. Just great people.





Unbranded why, though? Because this is the only event that i can do and not have an association to a fire, and not know at least half the people working it. Coming to Liverpool and running is like a "guilty pleasure" for me. ... Shhhhh .... no one knows I'm here.


Always Branded
But I still ran the 5K branded with my Geico shirt, since theywere nice enough to feature the picture I fired at the DC R & R Half Marathon for the #MyRaceFace  social media campaign as Their main picture for the Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco last month. So I suppose I can never get away from being branded, can I?

And, after all, that's the point of all of this, is not it? I can not be "Running While Branded" if I'm not branded, right?



Miles Flown: 35 299 miles.
Longest Run: 13.1 miles.



The luck or love of the Irish.




No comments:

Post a Comment