Monday, January 25, 2016

Las Vegas...

It's nearly impossible to keep up with marathon training when on the road for work.  I really wanted to run in Las Vegas last week, but there was no way...


This was my schedule for IBS/KBIS last week:

0530:  Up for shower.  I drew the short straw so I had to shower first, as there are four girls in the room who also need to get ready.  The sun isn't up yet so no running outside.  There is no fitness center where we are staying, but even if there was it's way too early for it to be open.

0730:  Leave for work.  I could leave earlier and walk the two miles in, but I don't want to get sweaty on my way there.  Also, I'm schlepping my lunch bag with me as I'm not paying $10 for a piece of nasty pizza after standing in line for 30 minutes.  Salad, yogurt, a protein shake and some turkey jerky it is.

0800:  Arrive on the Show Floor.  Find coffee.  Change into Floor Shoes.  Many times Floor Shoes are heels but luckily at this show I have cool clients who are fine with flats.  Still, not a lot of support for my feet in flats.  Can't bring my tennis shoes because there is barely enough room to store my small purse and lunch and it's not really proper to keep your smelly tennies next to your client's Louis Vuitton Purse.

0900:  Show Floor Opens.  Time to earn my pay.  Work the booth on my feet with no break.  Hustle, hustle, hustle.  Nonstop talking, crowd gathering, herding attendees into the booth, giving prizes away, keeping the energy level up at all times.

1330:  Lunch.  Sit on the floor at the edge of Center Hall and scarf down whatever I brought.  Try to catch up on emails that came in from other Agencies and Clients.  Go to the bathroom.  Mix Pedialyte powder into bottle of water and drink.

1430:  Back on the Show Floor until close.

1700:  Fitbit indicates I have completed 10,000 steps.

1730:  Wrap up show.  Maybe I'll walk back to the hotel.  Wait--it's raining??  In the desert??  Sigh.

1745:  Leave Convention Center with roommate.  Stop on the way back to the hotel to get some food.

2000:  Back at hotel.  Sun is down.  Exhausted.  Get online and answer emails, send out resumes and look for work.

2230:  Bed.

Lather, rinse, repeat.  Three days.

On the last day, dash to the airport to catch a flight home so I don't have to pay another night in a hotel.  Home around 0200.  Wash face.  Crawl into bed.

Sleep the entire next day to rest vocal cords, back and feet.  Drink as many fluids as possible to replace what was lost by not drinking enough water.

And there went four days that I could have logged some miles.


It's not easy to run while traveling on this kind of schedule, but I manage.  Some shows have shorter hours or start later and I can squeeze 30 minutes in before my morning shower.  And sometimes I stay an extra day to see the sights or friends and have time to do a long run.  Those are the days I love.

Either way, the next day comes and I lace up my shoes and hit the pavement.  I'm wearing some new fitness gear I received at CES to test it out and write a review along with a t-shirt from my client's booth.  You gotta love free swag, and the client loves when I give free advertising.

Until the next show...I'll be Running While Branded.

Miles flown:  3500
Longest run:  6.3 miles








No comments:

Post a Comment